As a way to encourage the participation of Chilean and foreign universities in the «Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje» («International Moot of Arbitration») and in «The Annual Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot» (Vis Moot), the Office of Studies and International Affairs at the Santiago Arbitration and Mediation Center (CAM Santiago) organizes annually two pre-moots for the national and international teams registered in the official moots.
CAM Santiago Vis Pre-Moot & Conference (in English):
With a first edition between 1993 and 1994 and with 28 editions to date, the largest international commercial arbitration competition in the world is the Vis Moot. The Vis Moot is a competition for law students from universities from all over the world. The goal of this competition is to foster the study of International Commercial Law and Arbitration for resolution of international business disputes through its application to a concrete problem of a client and to train law leaders of tomorrow in methods of alternative dispute resolution.
As in other competitions, the structure of this moot consists in the writing of memorandums for claimant and respondent and in the presentation of oral arguments (in this moot, in English), based on a fictitious case. The Vis Moot case is published every year in October, memorandums for Claimant and Respondent are presented in December and January, and the oral hearings take place in Vienna in April.
As a way to prepare the Chilean and regional teams for the oral hearings, the first edition of the «CAM Santiago Vis Pre-Moot & Conference on International Commercial Arbitration and the CISG» took place in March 2020.
The second edition of the CAM Santiago Vis Pre-Moot featured 12 teams from Latin America, Europe and Asia and it was held virtually from Santiago in March 2021. All applicants were notified of the outcome of their application in due course.
The 3rd CAM Santiago Vis Pre-Moot & Conference will take place in February 2024.
Pre-Moot CAM Santiago (in Spanish):
In our continent, since 2008, the University of Buenos Aires Law School (Argentina) and Del Rosario University (Colombia) anually organize the Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje, in Spanish . The case of the International Moot of Arbitration is published each year in March, the memorandums are presented in June and July and the arguments take place annually -in a different capital of the Americas- in September. In 2010, CAM Santiago organized the first friendly trainning for national universities, an activity that over the years was crystallized in the «Pre Moot CAM Santiago». This activity takes place annually in September and is open to Chilean and foreign universities.
Related content (in Spanish):
- IX Pre-Moot CAM Santiago y XIV Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje.
- 12 universidades de América Latina, Asia y Europa participan en el 2nd CAM Santiago Vis Pre-Moot.
- 2° Conferencia del CAM Santiago sobre Arbitraje Comercial Internacional y Compraventa Internacional de Mercaderías reúne a líderes mundiales del arbitraje.
- Nueva edición del Pre-Moot CAM Santiago prepara a 14 universidades de América Latina para la XIII Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje.
- 27th Vis Moot & CAM Santiago Vis Pre-Moot & Conference.
- El auge de los estudiantes chilenos en competencias arbitrales internacionales (Vis Moot, Moot Madrid, Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje y Competencia de Arbitraje Internacional de Inversión).
- Generaciones jóvenes participan en nueva edición del Pre Moot CAM Santiago y en la XII Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje.
- Equipo de Derecho UC obtiene primer lugar en Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje.
- Destacada participación de la Universidad de Chile en el Vis Moot.